OT: Tekky Help needed - multiboot a Windoze PC
Andyœ
2004-02-26 14:17:59 UTC
Sorry about this not-LFC ramble lads and gals ;) but I know there are a
couple of boffins on here ...

I have given a mate of mine an oldish PC that I have setup anew with Windows
XP and some bells&whistles. It works fine. BUT there is some s/w (MIDI
Audio) that he has on his old Win95 PC he wishes to keep the functionality
of. We tried getting XP to do it to no avail.

My question is: is there a utility or a way of getting the new PC to
multi-boot between the H/D containing WinXP and the H/D containing Win95. I
want to retain separate hard drives, but if I can get both living together
in the same chasis (the one I gave him) it'll make life easier (assuming I
can get Win95 drivers for the hardware).

Cheers all.

Andyœ
Séan Connolly
2004-02-26 14:39:40 UTC
Post by Andyœ
My question is: is there a utility or a way of getting the new PC to
multi-boot between the H/D containing WinXP and the H/D containing Win95. I
want to retain separate hard drives, but if I can get both living together
in the same chasis (the one I gave him) it'll make life easier (assuming I
can get Win95 drivers for the hardware).
Yes, but I'm buggered if I can remember how. You need a different boot loader
for a start, I'm sure you used to be able to get one with partition magic that
would let you do this...
Andyœ
2004-02-26 14:46:49 UTC
Post by Séan Connolly
Yes, but I'm buggered if I can remember how. You need a different
boot loader for a start, I'm sure you used to be able to get one
with partition magic that would let you do this...
Partition Magic!? Christ I've got a copy of that somewhere. And you say it
will allow me to set up a boot loader for two separate hard disks?
Time for a rummage methinks ...

Cheers fella!

Séan Connolly
2004-02-26 14:56:30 UTC
Post by Andyœ
Partition Magic!? Christ I've got a copy of that somewhere. And you say it
will allow me to set up a boot loader for two separate hard disks?
Time for a rummage methinks ...
I think the two disks bit may be tricky, I know it works if you've got both of
them on a fat32 drive, but then again XP will will do that for you anyway.

Sorry I can't help more, but I've done this with two drives before so it must
work somehow !
-+-Del-+-
2004-02-26 15:23:49 UTC
Post by Séan Connolly
Post by Andyœ
Partition Magic!? Christ I've got a copy of that somewhere. And you say it
will allow me to set up a boot loader for two separate hard disks?
Time for a rummage methinks ...
I think the two disks bit may be tricky, I know it works if you've got both of
them on a fat32 drive, but then again XP will will do that for you anyway.
Sorry I can't help more, but I've done this with two drives before so it must
work somehow !
Remove XP Hard Disk

Insert Win 98 hard disk, as Drive C

Boot, install & run etc

Add WIn XP hard disk as Drive D or later

Perform dual boot instructions:

http://www.winxpsolution.com/DualBootingXPHome.aspx

http://tinyurl.com/23vuq
Andyœ
2004-02-26 15:41:47 UTC
Post by -+-Del-+-
Remove XP Hard Disk
Insert Win 98 hard disk, as Drive C
Boot, install & run etc
Add WIn XP hard disk as Drive D or later
http://www.winxpsolution.com/DualBootingXPHome.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/23vuq
Cheers. There's some pure gold there for me to try.

Andy.
Phil
2004-02-26 16:29:09 UTC
Post by Séan Connolly
Post by Andyœ
My question is: is there a utility or a way of getting the new PC to
multi-boot between the H/D containing WinXP and the H/D containing Win95. I
want to retain separate hard drives, but if I can get both living together
in the same chasis (the one I gave him) it'll make life easier (assuming I
can get Win95 drivers for the hardware).
Yes, but I'm buggered if I can remember how. You need a different boot loader
for a start, I'm sure you used to be able to get one with partition magic that
would let you do this...
I think Partition magic will allow you to do this, I use Partition
commander and it deff does even with two disks as I have mine set up for
JDS and WinXP
Sean
Did you try running it in Win95 emulation mode?
Barry
2004-02-26 19:52:25 UTC
Post by Andyœ
Sorry about this not-LFC ramble lads and gals ;) but I know there are a
couple of boffins on here ...
I have given a mate of mine an oldish PC that I have setup anew with Windows
XP and some bells&whistles. It works fine. BUT there is some s/w (MIDI
Audio) that he has on his old Win95 PC he wishes to keep the functionality
of. We tried getting XP to do it to no avail.
My question is: is there a utility or a way of getting the new PC to
multi-boot between the H/D containing WinXP and the H/D containing Win95. I
want to retain separate hard drives, but if I can get both living together
in the same chasis (the one I gave him) it'll make life easier (assuming I
can get Win95 drivers for the hardware).
Cheers all.
Andyœ
hm.. its much easier to dual oot if win95 was installed first. xp knows
about these things, whereas i suspect 95 will carry on regardless and
destroy everything.

If you 95 is on a the second hard drive, then I'd take a look at the
boot.ini file in the root of c:\ (hidden and system) on the XP machine, and
suss out how to add another os on a different drive in that... beware
though, screwing that up can mean PC becomes not bootable.